Private Ostia Antica Tour from Rome
If you're planning to visit Rome and interested in Roman history and ruins, then our private Ostia Antica tour is the perfect half-day trip for you. Like Pompeii, Ostia Antica is a Roman ghost town but this one it is just a step away from Rome and comes with no crowds! See with your own guide why experts are calling it “The Pompeii of Rome"!
- Families with Kids
- Art & History Lovers
Private Ostia Antica Tour from Rome
What to Expect
Our fun and informative Ostia Antica tour offers an uncrowded experience of ancient Rome in miniature guided by an archaeologist or classical historian expert. This half-day private trip departs from and returns to your Rome hotel using comfortable transportation in a luxury car or minivan. Whether you’re the ultimate history buff or a family fan of rich storytelling, this Ostia Antica tour has you covered with tons of sights full of stories.
Ostia Antica is Rome's answer to Pompeii, and though it lacks the volcano backdrop, it is every bit as impressive. In fact, when it comes to atmosphere, ancient Rome's port wins hands down. It's an intimate, lived-in kind of place. The wonderfully preserved ruins are compact and shady, perfect for a hands-on exploration, and provide a tantalizing glimpse into daily life in ancient Rome.
You can wander into the neighborhood taverns, where wall paintings depict some of the dishes on offer and the refrigeration system consists of huge jars sunk into the floor. There are corn mills, their grindstones still in place. Offices of shipping companies in the Forum of the Corporation have floor mosaics showing the commodities dealt in, while the public latrine must have been a great place to pick up the day's gossip.
Walk through history whilst uncovering the secrets of a Roman port city whose apartment buildings, taverns and grocery shops are still intact. Today we take you on a carefully sketched trip to this beautiful and evocative archaeological park canopied with Umbrella Pines and Cypresses. During your walk through the ruins, your guide will provide enlightening insights into the cultural and social life of this ancient thriving city frozen in time.
Ostia Antica Tour at Glance
A trip to Rome would not be complete without a half-day trip to the archaeological site of Ostia Antica. Settle into your comfortable vehicle and on a brisk 40-minute ride you will be whisked back to 2,000 years ago! On the way, your guide provides historical background and intel that will set up the context for understanding the site.
On arrival you will find yourself embracing the vision of what a Roman city really looked like as suggestive ruins of buildings from daily life have remained intact. Discover how and where people lived, shopped, worshiped, worked and entertainer themselves. Ostia Antica is an unforgettable walk through history.
Your visit starts at Via delle Tombe, which leads you to the Porta Romana, one of the city's three gates. This is the beginning of the Decumanus Maximus, the main thoroughfare that crosses the city from north-east to south-west. Upon entering you will straightaway step back in time into a typical ancient Roman town boasting unique well-preserved temples, theaters, forums, basilicas, houses, shops, inns, baths, and workshops.
Here every stone and archway is just an empty structure without the stories that make it come alive in our minds. Leisurely walk through the ruins while your guide introduces you to a host of characters who lived there, from the hydraulic engineers of the baths to the High Priestess and tavern owners. Our guide will not only accompany you through what used to be a center of business, politics, and society in ancient Rome but will also guide you through the history of the place.
Ostia Antica is rich in cultural and archeological treasures and offers an opportunity to explore Roman-engineering skills. All of the major sites will be covered including but not limited to Ostia's Amphitheatre, Forum of the Corporations, and the Collegiate Temple. The perfect half day trip from Rome for those seeking to learn more about ancient Roman ruins but do not have time to travel to Pompeii.
Ostia Antica Tour with Kids
Unlike so many other ancient ruins, Ostia Antica makes for an interactive visit – you can climb into the ruins, touch them, admire them from up close and walk the streets that centuries ago welcomed weary travelers from the sea. Far from being ‘just another ruin,’ Ostia Antica feels like a living, breathing city. With its own fire department, laundries and apartment buildings, it’s not much of a stretch to imagine what life was like here. And with the right kid-friendly guide on a quiet day, the line between past and present never seemed so thin.
If your family is interested in continuing to explore ancient Roman history, we recommend our Kid Friendly Ancient Rome Colosseum Tour, our Rome Underground Private Family Tour, and our Rome Mythology Family Tour, three of our most popular kid friendly tours in Rome.
- The Castle of Pope Julius II (from outside)
- Decumanus Maximus (Main Street)
- Ancient Roman shops, bars and bakeries
- Lavish Public Toilets: A twenty-four seater gallery
- Casa di Diana: A high-density Roman apartment block
- Forum: The public gathering and administrative center of Ostia
- Capitolum Temple: Dedicated to the gods Jupiter, Juno and Minerva
- Terme dei Sette Sapienti: Enormous, luxury bathhouse and frescoes
- Temple of Heracles: Largest of the 2nd century CE temples
What Is Included
- Private licensed professional local guide
- Private driver
- Private transportation in a luxury, air-conditioned vehicle
- Tickets & reservation fees for skip the line access to Ostia Antica excavation site
What Is Not Included
- Food & drinks
- Tips (optional)
- Anything not expressly mentioned as included
- This private Ostia Antica tour is available on request Tuesday to Sunday except Christmas Day, New Year’s Day, and Labour Day.
- On the first Sunday of the month the Archaeological Area of Ostia Antica is free of charge and cannot be booked.
Good to Know
- Each vehicle can accommodate up to a maximum of 8 people (guide and driver included) so with bookings of more than 6 people, your party will be divided into two or more vehicles.
- We recommend wearing comfortable walking shoes as the itinerary involves a fair amount of walking outside and the cobblestone streets can be problematic for those in dress shoes. Also, please check the weather conditions before you depart. Bringing an umbrella or rain gear on tour is always better that being wet and cold for hours.
- During summer, we recommend taking a small bottle of water*, sun protection and a hat to protect you from the sun. *We discourage single-use plastic water bottles on our tours, and suggest you consider bringing your own refillable bottle.
- Note to parents with young children: Don’t bring a stroller as everything is cobblestone. For young ones, consider a baby carrier.
- Regretfully this private Ostia Antica tour is not suitable for wheelchair users or those with impaired mobility.
How to Book Your Private Tour
- Send Us Your Inquiry
Fill out the tour inquiry form and we will respond with availability and price quote.
- Payment Policy
Full payment by credit card is required to make a reservation. We use industry leader Stripe for all card transactions.
- Tour Voucher
Within two business days of payment, we will email you a voucher with all the booking details. Such email constitutes your proof of purchase.
Why should I take a day trip from Rome to Ostia Antica instead of Pompeii?
Is the Jewish Synagogue included in the Ostia Antica tour?
Would you like to personalize this tour?
Other Tours in Rome & Vatican
Private Ostia Antica Tour from Rome
Last update: November 10, 2022
As ever, we put health and safety first. Since the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic, all of our tours comply with the necessary safety and security regulations as per local guidelines. For more information, including specifics associated with requirements and restrictions associated with travel to and within Italy, read the following Covid-19 updates or consult the Italian embassy in your country.